Saturday, March 24, 2012

Lessons Learned

Today I competed in the elders' division of ATA Nationals. I had practiced and trained to the best of my ability but in the end, I did not place in either event I had entered. But I won in a lot of ways. I won because I met eight magnificent men who cared for their bodies despite their age. I met a man who is 68 and who can do a full side split. That same man had won the "Triple Crown" (three separate World Championships - forms, weapons and sparring - in the same year).

There were three other current World Champions in the ring with me. And they each taught me something. I learned that I am never too old. I learned to shut up about being old - it is a blessing to be alive each day no matter what your age. I learned that wanting and aspiring to something are not sufficient to make it happen. Everything worthwhile takes loads of dedication, training and practice.

I learned that there men out there that I can aspire to be like - who are role models for what it means to be a champion and an elder. And, ye, there was one man in the group who was still stuck in that first half of like "winning is the only thing" mentality. He didn't win either.

And I learned from my own experience as well. I learned that giving my best might not be enough to place, but I saw opportunities where I could grow and better my best. And I learned that I don't want to stop growing and improving. There is more out "there" for me to discover, more to give and more space to inhabit.

So I didn't win or place but I grew a big chunk of humility and that is really really important in the end. Thanks to the eight magnificent men!

No comments:

Post a Comment